University of Reading Student Clever Cuisine Eating Plan Terms and Conditions
These Terms and Conditions govern use of the University Campus Card to participate in the University’s pre-paid Clever Cuisine Eating Plans (“the Scheme”). By joining the Scheme and then using your University Campus Card when purchasing items in order to gain the discounts offered by the Scheme, you will be deemed to have accepted these Terms and Conditions. The Scheme is open to all registered students at the University of Reading, subject to the terms and conditions set out below. The pre-paid Eating Plan is held in a ring-fenced “Purse” as an electronic credit on the University Campus Card which is made available in instalments over a fixed period. The University will operate the Scheme from the following outlets during term time: Park Eat, Park Market, Park Bar, Wantage Hall, St. Patrick’s, The Dairy, SportsPark Café, Dolchevita, Architecture Café, Library Café, Eat at the Square and Agriculture café – not all outlets will be available on all Eating Plans. Available outlets during vacation will vary according to demand and planned maintenance work – this information will be available on our website. We reserve the right to reduce or increase the number of outlets, and substitute one outlet for another, but not in any manner that that would have a material adverse effect on a particular Eating Plan, except in exceptional circumstances (see 17).
1. Students in Hall Rooms sold with an Eating Plan (“Designated Hall Rooms”) will automatically join the Scheme when they accept an offer of Accommodation and sign the Accommodation Contract. They will automatically be enrolled onto the Eating Plan marketed with the Room on the Accommodation Website – www.reading.ac.uk/accommodation. This is not optional and cannot be downgraded, refunded or cancelled while in a Designated Hall Room.
2. Students living outside of Designated Hall Rooms can choose from a variety of Eating Plans as marketed on the Clever Cuisine website www.reading.ac.uk/clevercuisine and can purchase Eating Plans on a termly basis, for the duration of a vacation period or for the academic year. The total number of Eating Plans we can provide to students living outside of Designated Hall Rooms is limited and therefore subject to availability.
3. Eating Plans are non-refundable once they have commenced unless you withdraw or are suspended from the University. However, if you have purchased an Eating Plan via our website and subsequently move into a Designated Hall Room from another form of accommodation, you will need to notify us via firstname.lastname@example.org and we will refund the balance of any Eating Plan you have purchased via the University website back to the original payment method.
4. Eating Plans can only be used to purchase food, non-alcoholic drinks and reusable bottles/cups. The following items may not be purchased with an Eating Plan: alcohol, food supplements, medicines, sports nutrition and protein powders, non-food items. This list of exclusions is not exhaustive, and items may be added or removed from sale by the University. Bulk-buying of a single or similar items is not generally permitted and is at the sole discretion of the University.
5. Under the Scheme, discounted retail purchasing for Eating Plan students will be available 7 days per week, for the period that a student has purchased the Eating Plan (or automatically allocated an Eating Plan if a Student is in a designated Hall Room). Most plans are provided on a termly or term time only basis. Discount levels will be shown at www.reading.ac.uk/clevercuisine
6. Payment for the pre-paid Eating Plans must be made in advance either via the Student’s Accommodation Bill or via the University website for Students living outside of designated Hall Rooms.
7. On each eligible Scheme week during the University term, the University Campus Card will be credited with a time-limited predetermined amount as either GBP£, a meal credit or a combination of both as detailed on http://www.reading.ac.uk/clevercuisine . A week for these purposes will begin on Saturday at 00:01 and end on Friday at 23:59.
8. If the amount credited to the University Campus Card for use in a specific weekly period is not used within that same period, it will be lost to the account holder. This credit amount (or cash equivalent) cannot be carried over to any subsequent week, exchanged for cash, nor be transferred or refunded in any way. Certain Plans may provide rolling balance for a defined period of time.
9. The University have the right to change discounted items at any time. Discounts will be calculated and given at the point of sale upon purchase.
10. Any discounts offered when using the Eating Plan must be paid using the credit on the Eating Plan. If insufficient funds are available on the Eating Plan to purchase an item at the entire discounted price, the discount will be applied and the account holder can pay for the balance of the item using another form of payment including any credit held on the account holder’s University Campus Card.
11. If the Campus Card system is offline account holders will only able to spend up to £8.00 in any one transaction. When the system is back online the Eating Plan balances will be retrospectively charged with any offline transactions made. If the account holder had insufficient funds in their Eating Plan for the purchases made whilst the system was offline, any deficit will be automatically deducted from the following week’s balance.
12. In the event that any purchase transaction using an Eating Plan is refunded, such refunds will only be made to the Eating Plan and cannot be offered as any other type of payment.
13. University Campus Cards may only be used by the account holder whose photographic likeness appears on the University Campus Card. Participating outlets operated by the University have the right to confiscate or refuse to accept a University Campus Card for payment if it is presented by a person other than the account holder. If the University Campus Card is confiscated it will be considered to have been lost or stolen and the rules relating to replacement University Campus Cards will apply (see 14 below). Any improper use or attempted use by anyone other than the account holder constitutes a fraud against the University and disciplinary actions may be taken. Further, your account may be deactivated or temporarily suspended. The University Campus Card account holder must use the University Campus Card only for the purposes for which it is issued.
14. Where a University Campus Card is damaged, a replacement card will need to be obtained by the account holder and the last known remaining balance on the damaged University Campus Card, as determined by the University, will be transferred to the replacement card. Any misuse of your card rendering it unusable will result in a charge for a replacement card.
15. If a University Campus Card is lost or stolen it is the responsibility of the card holder to block their card via the University Campus Card portal website (www.reading. ac.uk/cardfinance). Following this, use of any credit held on the University Campus Card will normally be blocked within 1 hour. Until that block has taken effect any transactions made with the University Campus Card will be the responsibility and liability of the account holder. A blocked University Campus Card cannot be reactivated and must be replaced with a new one. A replacement fee may apply in respect of blocked, lost or stolen cards. The replacement University Campus Card will be activated with the last known value, as determined by the University, on the previous card at the time the block took full effect. If during the next 24 hours further transactions which were entered into before the block was effected but which did not appear at time of replacing the University Campus Card are found, the account balance will be retrospectively adjusted. The University is not responsible for losses incurred on lost or stolen University Campus Cards.
16. The University will collect, hold and process data relating to you (personal data) in order to meet its obligations under these terms and conditions. The University will use the personal information you provide to us: to provide the services to you, to process your payments, and to keep a track of your transaction history in order to administer and manage the Scheme.
More information on how we process your personal data, details of your data protection rights, and the contact details for our Data Protection Officer can be found at https://www.reading.ac.uk/essentials/The-Important-Stuff/Values-and-Behaviours/Data-protection
17. The University undertakes to take all reasonable steps to provide the Scheme as described. It does not, however, guarantee the provision of these services. If industrial action, loss of utilities (including internet and internal network systems), civil disturbance, emergency repairs, extreme weather, epidemic or pandemic, emergency legislation, restrictions imposed by government or University regulators or other circumstances beyond the reasonable control of the University interfere with its ability to provide the services, the University will use all reasonable steps to minimise disruption and continue to provide services in a safe manner for both customers and staff. This may result in the number of outlets, opening hours or menu offers being restricted for a period of time. Service information will be available at www.reading.ac.uk/clevercuisine
18. We may revise these terms and conditions from time-to-time. Revised terms and conditions will apply to the Scheme from the date of the publication of the revised terms and conditions on our website www.reading.ac.uk/clevercuisine . Please check this page regularly to ensure you are familiar with the current version.
19. These Terms and Conditions are made under English law.
Clever Cuisine, the Clever Cuisine plate device and Giving Food More Thought are registered trademarks of the University of Reading.
(Revised 10 November 2021)