Participating outlets for the above Meal Plans are St. Patrick’s Hall, Wantage Hall, Park Eat, The Dairy and Eat at the Square.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PARENTS, GUARDIANS & SUPPORTERS
Student Accounts are protected by Data Protection Regulations so we are unable to discuss any active student accounts with anyone other than the Student Account Holder using their University Student Email or in person with their Campus Card. This is regardless of the person who paid for the Meal Plan or intends to pay. We understand this can be incredibly frustrating for Parents and Guardians and highly recommend you encourage your student to visit Park Eat Concierge Front Desk in person Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm for assistance.
Our friendly team are very experienced with helping students and are parents themselves, so do understand. Please note that the 14 days cancellation period only applies to Meal Plans purchased with a Credit/Debit Card, in advance, via the Clever Cuisine website or in-person. All Plans sold with an Accommodation Contract are subject to the Cancellation Terms within the Accommodation Contract.
If you have a concern about the well-being of a student please see this page for further information.
University of Reading Student Clever Cuisine Meal Plan Terms and Conditions
Academic Year: 2023/2024
Effective Date: 3rd August 2023
These Terms and Conditions explain how the University’s Clever Cuisine Meal Plans scheme works and the rules of using it. They may have changed since you last reviewed them – for a list of changes and when they were made, see https://www.hospitalityuor.co.uk/clever-cuisine/terms/
Where to find information about us
You can find everything you need to know about us, the University of Reading, and our services on our Website and/or from our staff before you purchase your Meal Plan. We also confirm the key information to you in writing either before or after you purchase.
The words and phrases we use:
Accommodation Contract – your contract for a Designated Hall Room (where applicable).
Campus Card – the physical “Campus Card” issued by the University.
Clever Cuisine – is the brand name of our Meal Plan scheme at the University.
Contact Us – this can be done in person at Park Eat Concierge or via email – email@example.com. We don’t accept incoming phone calls as we focus on helping people in person, but are happy to call you back if you wish to talk to us at mutually beneficial time.
Designated Hall Room – this is a room in a University Hall of Residence that is either marketed with a Meal Plan included.
Digital Dining Card – an electronic identity as issued to compatible smart device wallets for the purposes of the provision of Meal Plans – for example Google or Apple Wallet, Apple Pay or Android Pay. You need to provide your own smart device. Use is subject to our software partner’s terms here https://get.cbord.com/CBORD/full/terms.php . Compatibility is subject to our software partner’s requirements and can be found here for Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cbord.get&hl=en&gl=US and here for Apple devices https://apps.apple.com/us/app/get-mobile/id844091049 (and these may be updated from time to time).
Meal Plan – meal plans that can be made up of different combinations of Meal Swipes. The Meal Plan will be uploaded to your Digital Dining Card or Campus Card (as appliable) upon payment and allow you to access the combination of Meal Swipes corresponding to the Meal Plan selected. Details of each Meal Plan are provided on our Website.
Meal Swipe – a digital credit that can be exchanged for meals and a free hot drink at Participating Outlets regardless of the price of the meal. Normally one credit provides one meal although certain high value meals may be two Meal Swipes or excluded. Meal Swipes must be used in the time periods stated by a Meal Plan.
Participating Outlet – a University café, restaurant, bar that accepts Meal Swipes. Participating Outlets are listed on our Website.
Terms and Conditions – these terms and conditions. We may revise these Terms and Conditions annually for the upcoming academic year. Revisions shall apply from the Effective Date as noted at the top of this document. Please check this page regularly to ensure you are familiar with the current version.
University (/we /us) – the University of Reading (RC000665), Whiteknights, Reading, Berkshire, RG6 6AH, United Kingdom.
Website – www.clever-cuisine.com
You – you the purchaser of a Meal Plan pursuant to these Terms and Conditions. By accepting these Terms and Conditions you confirm you are eligible to take part in the Clever Cuisine scheme (as more particularly detailed in paragraph 1 below).
1. Eligibility. Participation in the Clever Cuisine scheme is limited to current students of the University.
2. When a Contract is Formed Between Us. You accept these Terms and Conditions when either:
a) you accept an offer for a Designated Hall Room including a Meal Plan; or
b) you purchase a Meal Plan from our Website or face to face.
3. Your Right of Cancellation.
a) For purchases made in accordance with paragraph 2a above (Meal Plans acquired at the same time as a Designated Hall Room) please see your Accommodation Contract for the applicable cancellation terms.
b) For all other purchases, the University will allow you to cancel within 14 days of the date of purchase.
4. How to Cancel. In order to cancel your order you should Contact Us.
a) Pro-rata Refunds. You have to pay for services you received before you changed your mind (for example if you used Meal Swipes) so your refund will be pro-rated accordingly. We will pro-rata refund you as soon as possible and within 30 days of you telling us you’ve changed your mind in accordance with paragraphs 3b and 4 above. We pro-rata refund you by the method you used for payment (if a credit or debit card was used the pro-rata refund will be applied to that original payment card). We don’t charge a fee for the pro-rata refund.
b) Upgrades and Downgrades. Meal Plans may be fully or partially upgraded or downgraded at the sole discretion of the University. Please Contact Us if you wish to upgrade or downgrade your Meal Plan and we will discuss your options, including whether a pro-rata refund can be offered in the circumstances.
c) Exceptional Circumstances. In the event of serious injury or illness, withdrawing from University, termination of a Hall Accommodation Contract or other exceptional circumstances, a pro-rata refund may be given at the sole discretion of the University.
6. We’re not responsible for delays outside of our reasonable control.
a) Meal Plan If our provision to you of a Meal Plan is delayed by an event outside our control we will contact you as soon as possible to let you know and do what we can to reduce the delay. As long as we do this, we won’t compensate you for the delay, but if the delay is likely to be substantial you can Contact Us to end the contract and receive a pro-rata refund for the Meal Plans you have paid for in advance, but not received.
b) Meal Swipe If we are unable to provide meals via a Meal Swipe due to factors outside of our control including but not limited to industrial action, loss of utilities (including internet and internal network systems), civil disturbance, emergency repairs, adverse weather, epidemic or pandemic, emergency legislation, restrictions imposed by government or University regulators or other circumstances beyond the reasonable control of the University which interfere with its ability to provide the services, the University will use all reasonable steps to minimise disruption and continue to provide services in a safe manner for both you and our staff. This may result in the number of Participating Outlets, opening hours or menu offers being restricted.
7. University’s Right to Cancel. We can end our contract with you and claim any compensation due to us if:
a) you don’t make any payment to us when it’s due and you still don’t make payment within thirty (30) days of our reminding you that payment is due;
b) you fail to comply with these Terms and Conditions in a material way and, where such non-compliance is capable of remedy, you fail to remedy the same within thirty (30) days of our telling you that remedy is necessary. An example of a material non-compliance that is incapable of remedy is any breach by you of paragraph 8b below (Meal Swipes are for personal use only).
8. Operation of the Clever Cuisine scheme.
a) Expiry of Meal Plans and Meal Swipes. Each Meal Plan operates for the period outlined on the Website and at the Participating Outlets. It is made up of varying levels and combinations of Meal Swipes. Unused elements are considered lost if not used within the time periods a stated here: https://www.hospitalityuor.co.uk/clever-cuisine/terms/
b) Personal Use Only. Only you, the person to whom the Meal Plan is issued to, may use it. You must not give access to your Meal Plan to another individual. ID must be provided on request of a member of University staff.
c) Insufficient Funds. In the event of insufficient Meal Swipes, an alternative payment method will be needed.
d) Loss of Campus Card / Digital Dining Card. In the event of you losing your Campus Card or a smart device with a Digital Dining Card enabled on it, you need to Contact Us at the earliest opportunity. Whilst the University is not liable for mis-use or unauthorised use of any Meal Plan balance, we will, at our discretion, restore balances to the pre-loss state. We reserve the right to suspend accounts that we suspect or know are being used by someone other than the account holder.
e) Changes to Meal Plans during current Academic Year. We will not substantially change how the Meal Plans work in the academic year to which the Terms and Conditions apply except in exceptional circumstances. The University will take all reasonable steps to provide the Meal Plans as described, save in the case of circumstances outside of our control and as described in paragraph 6(b) above.
f) Alcohol. Sales of alcohol are subject to licensing regulations and conditions and vary between Participating Outlets.
g) Behaviour. We will treat you with respect, courtesy, and kindness, and you are required to do the same towards our staff, contractors and other guests.
h) University Property. Tableware, Glasses, Cutlery and other equipment/furniture belonging to the University must not be removed from our Outlets without prior written permission of the University.
9. We don’t compensate you for all losses caused by us. We’re responsible for losses you suffer caused by us breaking this contract unless the loss is:
a) Unexpected. It was not obvious that it would happen and nothing you said to us before we accepted your order meant we should have expected it (so, in the law, the loss was unforeseeable).
b) Caused by a delaying event outside our control. As long as we have taken the steps set out in paragraph 6 we’re not responsible for delays outside our control.
c) Avoidable. Something you could have avoided by taking reasonable action.
10. We use your personal data as set out in our Privacy Notice. The University will collect, hold and process data relating to you (personal data) in order to meet its obligations under these Terms and Conditions and for the purposes set out in our fair processing notice which can be found here: https://www.reading.ac.uk/essentials/The-Important-Stuff/Values-and-Behaviours/Data-protection.
11. You have several options for resolving disputes with us.
a) Our complaints policy. If you encounter any issues regarding the services we provide to you under the Clever Cuisine scheme please Contact Us in the first instance and we will try to resolve these issues for you. Should you wish to proceed further and make a formal complaint about the services we provide to you under the Clever Cuisine scheme, you can make a complaint using the Student Complaint Policy (available here)
b) You can go to court. These Terms and Conditions are governed by the law of England and Wales and you and the University agree that any legal proceedings regarding them or the services described in them shall be brought in the English courts.
12. Other important terms apply to our contract.
a) These Terms and Conditions are personal to you and you may not transfer them or your rights under these them to anyone else.
b) These Terms and Conditions are between you and the University and no-one else has any rights under them.
c) Each of the paragraphs of these Terms and Conditions operates separately. If part of these Terms and Conditions become void, illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable, the rest of the Terms and Conditions will continue in full force and effect.
d) Failure or delay by you or the University to enforce any breach by the other of these Terms and Conditions will not constitute a waiver of any provision and will not prevent you or the University from taking steps to enforce that provision.
i) Any notice given under these Terms and Conditions will be in writing. The University will send any notice to you either to your term-time address/home address and/or by email to your University email address. You must keep your details up to date on RISIS.
ii) You must send any notices either by post (to University of Reading, Whiteknights, PO Box 217, Reading RG6 6AH) or by email, marked for the attention of:
Head of Bars and Dining
iii) In the event of inconsistencies between the Terms and Conditions and any other contract information provided to you, the Terms and Conditions shall prevail.
f) In the event of inconsistencies between this document and other documents referred to in it, this document shall prevail.
Clever Cuisine, the Clever Cuisine plate device and Giving Food More Thought are registered trade marks of the University of Reading.
These terms are displayed for information only and applied to 2022/23
These Terms and Conditions govern use of the University Campus Card to participate in the University’s pre-paid Clever Cuisine Eating Plans (“the Scheme”). By joining the Scheme and then using your University Campus Card when purchasing items in order to gain the discounts offered by the Scheme, you will be deemed to have accepted these Terms and Conditions. The Scheme is open to all registered students at the University of Reading, subject to the terms and conditions set out below. The pre-paid Eating Plan is held in a ring-fenced “Purse” as an electronic credit on the University Campus Card which is made available in instalments over a fixed period. The University will operate the Scheme from the following outlets during term time: Park Eat, Park Bar, Wantage Hall, St. Patrick’s, The Dairy, SportsPark Café, Dolchevita, Architecture Café, Library Café, Eat at the Square and Agriculture café – not all outlets will be available on all Eating Plans. Available outlets during vacation will vary according to demand and planned maintenance work – this information will be available on our website. We reserve the right to reduce or increase the number of outlets, and substitute one outlet for another, but not in any manner that that would have a material adverse effect on a particular Eating Plan, except in exceptional circumstances (see 17).
1. Students in Hall Rooms sold with an Eating Plan (“a Designated Room”), either pre-defined or self-selected, will automatically join the Scheme when they accept an offer of Accommodation and enter into an Accommodation Contract. They will automatically be enrolled onto the Eating Plan marketed with the Room during the Halls Accommodation Application process. Once an Accommodation Contract with an Eating Plan is issued, it cannot be downgraded, refunded or cancelled while in that Designated Hall Room.
2. Students living outside of Designated Hall Rooms can choose from a variety of Eating Plans as marketed on the Clever Cuisine website www.reading.ac.uk/clevercuisine and can purchase Eating Plans on a termly basis, for the duration of a vacation period or for the academic year. The total number of Eating Plans we can provide to students living outside of Designated Hall Rooms is limited and therefore subject to availability.
3. Eating Plans purchased outside of Designated Rooms are non-refundable once they have commenced unless you withdraw or are suspended from the University. However, if you have purchased an Eating Plan via our website and subsequently move into a Designated Hall Room from another form of accommodation, you will need to notify us via firstname.lastname@example.org and we will refund the balance of any Eating Plan you have purchased via the University website back to the original payment method.
4. Eating Plans can only be used to purchase food, non-alcoholic drinks and reusable bottles/cups. The following items may not be purchased with an Eating Plan: alcohol, food supplements, medicines, sports nutrition and protein powders, non-food items. This list of exclusions is not exhaustive, and items may be added or removed from sale by the University. Bulk-buying of a single or similar items is not generally permitted and is at the sole discretion of the University.
5. Under the Scheme, discounted retail purchasing for Eating Plan students will be available 7 days per week, for the period that a student has purchased the Eating Plan (or automatically allocated an Eating Plan if a Student is in a designated Hall Room). Most plans are provided on a termly or term time only basis. Discount levels will be shown at www.reading.ac.uk/clevercuisine
6. Payment for the pre-paid Eating Plans must be made in advance either via the Student’s Accommodation Bill or via the University website for Students living outside of designated Hall Rooms.
7. On each eligible Scheme week during the University term, the University Campus Card will be credited with a time-limited predetermined amount as either GBP£, meal swipes or a combination of both as detailed on http://www.reading.ac.uk/clevercuisine . A week for these purposes will begin on Saturday at 00:01 and end on Friday at 23:59.
8. If the amount credited to the University Campus Card for use in a specific weekly period is not used within that same period, it will be lost to the account holder. This credit amount (or cash equivalent) cannot be carried over to any subsequent week, exchanged for cash, nor be transferred or refunded in any way. Certain Plans may provide rolling balance for a defined period of time.
9. The University have the right to change discounted items at any time. Discounts will be calculated and given at the point of sale upon purchase.
10. Any discounts offered when using the Eating Plan must be paid using the credit on the Eating Plan. If insufficient funds are available on the Eating Plan to purchase an item at the entire discounted price, the discount will be applied and the account holder can pay for the balance of the item using another form of payment including any credit held on the account holder’s University Campus Card.
11. If the Campus Card system is offline account holders will only able to spend up to £8.00 in any one transaction. When the system is back online the Eating Plan balances will be retrospectively charged with any offline transactions made. If the account holder had insufficient funds in their Eating Plan for the purchases made whilst the system was offline, any deficit will be automatically deducted from the following week’s balance.
12. In the event that any purchase transaction using an Eating Plan is refunded, such refunds will only be made to the Eating Plan and cannot be offered as any other type of payment.
13. University Campus Cards may only be used by the account holder whose photographic likeness appears on the University Campus Card. Participating outlets operated by the University have the right to confiscate or refuse to accept a University Campus Card for payment if it is presented by a person other than the account holder. If the University Campus Card is confiscated it will be considered to have been lost or stolen and the rules relating to replacement University Campus Cards will apply (see 14 below). Any improper use or attempted use by anyone other than the account holder constitutes a fraud against the University and disciplinary actions may be taken. Further, your account may be deactivated or temporarily suspended. The University Campus Card account holder must use the University Campus Card only for the purposes for which it is issued.
14. Where a University Campus Card is damaged, a replacement card will need to be obtained by the account holder and the last known remaining balance on the damaged University Campus Card, as determined by the University, will be transferred to the replacement card. Any misuse of your card rendering it unusable will result in a charge for a replacement card.
15. If a University Campus Card is lost or stolen it is the responsibility of the card holder to block their card via the University Campus Card portal website (www.reading. ac.uk/cardfinance). Following this, use of any credit held on the University Campus Card will normally be blocked within 1 hour. Until that block has taken effect any transactions made with the University Campus Card will be the responsibility and liability of the account holder. A blocked University Campus Card cannot be reactivated and must be replaced with a new one. A replacement fee may apply in respect of blocked, lost or stolen cards. The replacement University Campus Card will be activated with the last known value, as determined by the University, on the previous card at the time the block took full effect. If during the next 24 hours further transactions which were entered into before the block was effected but which did not appear at time of replacing the University Campus Card are found, the account balance will be retrospectively adjusted. The University is not responsible for losses incurred on lost or stolen University Campus Cards.
16. The University will collect, hold and process data relating to you (personal data) in order to meet its obligations under these terms and conditions. The University will use the personal information you provide to us: to provide the services to you, to process your payments, and to keep a track of your transaction history in order to administer and manage the Scheme.
More information on how we process your personal data, details of your data protection rights, and the contact details for our Data Protection Officer can be found at https://www.reading.ac.uk/essentials/The-Important-Stuff/Values-and-Behaviours/Data-protection
17. The University undertakes to take all reasonable steps to provide the Scheme as described. It does not, however, guarantee the provision of these services. If industrial action, loss of utilities (including internet and internal network systems), civil disturbance, emergency repairs, extreme weather, epidemic or pandemic, emergency legislation, restrictions imposed by government or University regulators or other circumstances beyond the reasonable control of the University interfere with its ability to provide the services, the University will use all reasonable steps to minimise disruption and continue to provide services in a safe manner for both customers and staff. This may result in the number of outlets, opening hours or menu offers being restricted for a period of time. Service information will be available at www.reading.ac.uk/clevercuisine
18. We may revise these terms and conditions from time-to-time. Revised terms and conditions will apply to the Scheme from the date of the publication of the revised terms and conditions on our website www.reading.ac.uk/clevercuisine . Please check this page regularly to ensure you are familiar with the current version.
19. These Terms and Conditions are made under English law.
Clever Cuisine, the Clever Cuisine plate device and Giving Food More Thought are registered trademarks of the University of Reading.
(Revised 10 July 2022)
References for claims
‘Remarkable Kitchens at a Remarkable University’ – BBC Radio 4 Food Programme 8 November 2020
‘90% of students using Clever Cuisine say it makes their life easier and 79% say it has a positive impact on their student experience’ – Survey of Clever Cuisine Users during the 2020/21 Academic Year on perceptions, satisfaction of Clever Cuisine with all students given the opportunity to respond.
Sustainability of our operations has been independently verified by the Sustainable Restaurant Association’s Food Made Good Scheme covering all our physical outlets and student food services and rated 3 Stars (the highest rating) in 2022.
‘We cook from scratch/we prepare every item’ – the vast majority of the food we serve plated is cooked from scratch from basic ingredients, without the use of prepared foods. We do buy bread, stock (bouillon), table sauces, mayonnaise.
Our Clever Cuisine team are available to help, contact us below.